|Are you interested in contributing to HLWIKI Canada - hlwiki.ca? contact: email@example.com
To browse other articles on a range of HSL topics, see the wiki index.
See also Canadian Health Librarians - Leaders, Past and Present | Famous librarians in history
George Beckett (now, retired) grew up in Burnaby, BC, and earned a Bachelor of History degree from Simon Fraser University and a Master of Library Science degree from McGill University. In 1981, he began working in academic libraries at Memorial University in areas such as government documents, computer searching and systems before moving to the Health Sciences Library as a systems librarian in 1989. In 1991, Beckett became head of the Health Sciences Library as Associate University Librarian (Health Sciences). In 1999, he led the creation of the Newfoundland and Labrador Health Knowledge Information Network (NLHKIN) and remains involved in developing library services for Newfoundland and Labrador and dealing with information resources in the digital age. For CHLA/ABSC (Canada), Beckett served as Treasurer from 1991 to 1993, and Vice-President and President from 1994 to 1996. He served as Vice-President and President of the Newfoundland & Labrador Health Libraries Association from 2000 to 2002, and chaired the Local Organizing Committee of the 2004 CHLA/ABSC Conference in St. John's Newfoundland. Beckett was the 2004 winner of the CHLA/ABSC's Margaret Ridley Charlton Award for Outstanding Achievement. At the 2011 CHLA/ABSC Conference, George announced that he would retire in 2011.
- Beckett G. Open-source webcasting and archiving – ePresence 2.8. eLean Magazine, 2005.
- Beckett G. An analysis of the National Statistical Survey on Canadian health sciences libraries. Bibliotheca Medica Canadiana. 1997;18(3).
- Beckett G. Canadian Copyright Law: an update. Bibliotheca Medica Canadiana. 1996;18(2).
- Beckett G. Connecting To DOCLINE: Technical Tips For Canadian Libraries. Bibliotheca Medica Canadiana. 1996;17(4).
- Beckett G. CHLA/ABSC Information Update On DOCLINE For Canadian Libraries Bibliotheca Medica Canadiana. 1995;16.
- Beckett G. Everywhere Access: Remote Control Software for the Internet. Library Software Review. 1994;13(2).
- Beckett G. Viruses of the computer kind! Bibliotheca Medica Canadiana. 1993;14(2).
- Beckett G. Essential Microcomputer Utilities & Tricks. Bibliotheca Medica Canadiana. 1992;13(3).
- Beckett G. Setting Up a Local Area Network. Bibliotheca Medica Canadiana. 1991;12(3).
- Beckett G. Tearing Down The Walls: Providing Access to Library Databases and Services. Bibliotheca Medica Canadiana. 1990;12(2).
- Beckett G. SPIRES Comes to MUN. Memorial University of Newfoundland Computing Services Newsletter. 1988, Fall.
- Beckett G. Micro Corner. Newfoundland Library Association Bulletin 1985-1987.
- Beckett G. Atlantic Provinces Review. Canadian Library Yearbook 1987.
- Beckett G. Lippold K. Developments in the bibliographic control of Government Publications. Atlantic Provinces Library Association Bulletin, 1984.
- Beckett G. Improving Access to Government Publications. Canadian Library Journal. 1981;38(5):297-99.