Are you interested in contributing to HLWIKI International contact: email@example.com
Susan Powelson, Head librarian, UofC Health Sciences Library
To browse other articles on a range of HSL topics, see the A-Z index.
- This entry is out of date and will not be updated, July 2017
See also Canadian health librarians — current, emerging & past | What health librarians do
Susan Powelson was born in Edmonton, Alberta and now lives in Calgary, Alberta where she works as the head librarian at the University of Calgary, Health Sciences Library. Susan earned a Bachelor of Commerce (BComm) in Accounting from the University of Alberta in 1981, and a Master of Library Science (MLS) degree from Dalhousie University in 1984. She interned at the Kellogg Library at Dalhousie University during her MLS degree. Powelson is currently the head librarian of the University of Calgary Health Sciences Library and former Library Director at the Regina Qu’Appelle Health Region from 1998-2008. Powelson is Past-President of CHLA/ABSC (Canada). In 2004, she received the Saskatchewan Healthcare Excellence Award for innovation in library services and, in 2006, the Canadian Hospital Librarian of the Year. Powelson was co-chair of the Saskatchewan Health Information Resources Partnership (SHIRP), chair of the CHLA/ABSC Taskforce of the Standards for Library and Information Services in Canadian Healthcare Facilities and a member of the National Network of Libraries for Health. Powelson is a member of the Academy of Health Information Professionals.
With Robin Featherstone, Susan will be teaching a continuing education workshop on bibliometrics and altmetrics at the 2015 CHLA/ABSC Conference in Vancouver BC.
- Aitken EM, Powelson SE, Reaume RD, Ghali WA. Involving clinical librarians at the point of care: results of a controlled intervention. Acad Med. 2011;86(12):1508–12.
- Bangma J, Powelson S. The world around the corner - or driving too fast around the bend: update on the Saskatchewan Health Information Resources Partnership (SHIRP). 2005 CHLA/ABSC Conference.
- Bangma J, Powelson S. Trying not to fall off the edge: assembling the pieces of the health information mosaic in Saskatchewan. CHLA/ABSC Conference; 2003.
- Kharouba D, Powelson S, Slater L. The value of membership: The CHLA / ABSC 2008 membership survey. JCHLA/JABSC. 2008;29(2):47–50.
- [Medical Library Association Conference 2000. The power of improved practice in action: assembling the health information mosaic in Saskatchewan. Janet Bangma, Health Sciences Library, University of Saskatchewan–Saskatoon, Canada, and Susan Powelson, Health Sciences Library, Regina Qu'Appelle Health Region, Regina, Saskatchewan.]
- Powelson SE, Olfert S, Mason J, Chipanshi M. Evidence for change; library needs assessment at the Regina Qu'appelle Health Region. UQ E Space: International Congress on Medical Librarianship (ICML) 2009. http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/eserv/UQ:179703
- Powelson SE, Reaume R, Cole J, Stieda V. Making a difference at the bedside: Alberta and Saskatchewan University/hospital partnerships to deliver evidence-based resources to health care practitioners. UQ E Space: International Congress on Medical Librarianship (ICML) 2009. http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/eserv/UQ:179915
- Powelson SE, Ellis P, Adams-Webber T. Supporting excellence in health care by delivering information to health care practitioners in La Croix, Yvon-Andre, Ed., Reaching Out: Innovation in Canadian Libraries. Le Presses de l’Universite Laval , 2008
- Powelson SE, Reaume RD. Using the results of a satisfaction survey to demonstrate the impact of a new library service model. Health Info Libr J. 2012;29:223–232.
- Ross M, Brown M, McLaughlin K, Atkinson P, Thompson J, Powelson SE, et al. Emergency physician-performed-ultrasound to diagnose cholelithiasis: a systematic review. Acad Emerg Med. 2011 March;18(3):227-235
- Vaska M, Chan R, Powelson S. Results of a user survey to determine needs for a health sciences library renovation. New Rev Acad Librarian. 2009;15(2):219–34.
- Wilmott AR, Thompson GC, Lang E, Powelson S, Wakai A, Vandermeer B, et al. Atropine therapy versus no atropine therapy for the prevention of adverse events in paediatric patients undergoing intubation (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2014;2014(1).