Are you interested in contributing to HLWIKI International? contact "...[this book] brings together widely scattered information on health measurement techniques; a practical reference guide by Ian McDowell ... it helps readers choose, administer, and score available questionnaires & rating scales. Reviewing 50 measurement instruments, it describes their purpose and conceptual basis, reliability and validity, and shows a copy of the scale." see free PDF
To browse other articles on a range of HSL topics, see the A-Z index.
- 24 June 2016
see also Aboriginal health search filter | Canadian search filter for MEDLINE | Finding health questionnaires, scales & tests | Search filters & hedges
Filters (ie. hedges) or search filters are defined as: "...a [single] search term or terms (such as 'randomi?ation' or 'random allocation' for RCTs) that select studies that are at the most advanced stages of testing for clinical application" (Wilczynski et al 1995, p436). In other words, "...search filters or hedges consist of a combination of terms, generally drawing on free-text, controlled vocabulary and metadata."
Note that many databases now use social media as a controlled term. In Medline, the MeSH social media was introduced in 2012. Blogging was introduced as a MeSH in 2010.
- All purpose social media search filter:
- blogs* "blogging"; "experience project"; "health 2.0"; "instant messaging"; "medicine 2.0"; "second life"; "social media"; "video-sharing"; "virtual world"; "webcasts as topic"; bebo; biomedexperts; blog; carepages; caringbridge; citeulike; connotea; crowdsourcing; cyworld; cyworld; dailystrength; doximity; dropbox; dxy.cn; facebook; flickr; friendster; gaming; habbo; hi5; hyves; igoogle; imedexchange; instagram; linkedin; livejournal; mediawiki; mendeley; microblogging; myfamilyhealth; myspace; netvibes; orkut; pageflakes; patientslikeme; picasa; pinterest; plaxo; podcast; reddit; renren; researchgate; rss; sciencestage; screencast; slideshare; studivz; tumblr; twitter; videocast; vimeo; vodcast; webcast; widget; wiki; wordpress; youtube; zotero; “e-learning”; “face book”; “push technology”; “really simple syndication”; “social medium”; “social networking”; “social network”; “social software”; “social web”; “streaming video”; “video streaming”; “web 2.0”; “web log”; “web2”;
- Major concepts/trends:
- "social web" or "social media" or "social software" or "social networks" or "social networking" web2 or "web 2.0" or "web 2" or "medicine 2.0" or "health 2.0" or "nursing 2.0" or "pharmacy 2.0" OR "mobile social networks"
- we are starting to see concepts such as "education 2.0" and "telemedicine 2.0", and ongoing usage of "library 2.0"
- blogging OR blogs OR cellular phone OR internet OR social media OR webcasts
- blog* OR blogging OR "collaborative writing" OR "collaboration tools" OR conferencing OR chat OR crowdsourcing OR gaming OR "instant messaging" OR microblogging OR "mind-mapping tool*" OR podcast OR RSS OR "really simple syndication" OR screencast* OR "social network*" OR "social bookmark*" OR "social bibliography" OR "social document*" OR "photograph-shar*" OR "presentation-shar*" OR "video-sharing" OR "virtual world*" OR vodcast OR videocast OR "web browser*" OR wiki* OR widget
- Anobii OR BibSonomy OR Blogger OR Bloglines OR CiteULike OR Connotea OR Cyworld OR Delicious OR Diigo OR Dropbox OR Ello OR Facebook OR Flickr OR FourSquare OR Friendster OR "Google blogsearch" OR "Google Docs" OR "Google Flu" OR "Google Buzz" OR "Google Chat" OR "Google Reader" OR Gowalla OR iGoogle OR Instagram OR LibraryThing OR LifeStream LinkedIn OR Mendeley OR MySpace OR Netvibes OR Pageflakes OR Picasa OR Pinterest OR Podscope OR Reddit OR Scribd OR SlideShare OR Sliderocket OR Skype OR "Second Life" OR Snapchat OR Tumblr OR Vimeo OR WebMD OR Wikipedia OR WordPress OR Twitter OR Uber OR UStream OR Whatsapp OR Yammer OR YouTube OR Zoho OR Zotero
- Mendeley OR Moodle OR PatientsLikeMe OR Second Life OR YouTube OR Zotero
Possible PubMed filter
- "Social Media"[Mesh] OR "Blogging"[Mesh] OR "Webcasts as Topic"[Mesh] OR "Social Media" OR “web 2.0” OR "medicine 2.0"[tiab] OR "health 2.0"[tiab] OR Blog* OR Webcast* OR “Streaming Video” OR “video streaming” OR Podcast* OR RSS OR “Really Simple Syndication” OR facebook OR “face book” Or “web log”[tiab] OR youtube[tiab] OR twitter[tiab] OR “social web” OR “social network” OR “social networking” OR “web2” OR “social software” OR “social medium” OR crowdsourcing OR gaming OR "instant messaging" OR microblogging OR screencast* OR "video-sharing" OR "virtual world" OR "virtual worlds" OR vodcast* OR videocas* OR wiki* OR widget* OR “push technology” OR “e-learning” OR mediawiki[tiab] OR CiteULike[tiab] OR Connotea[tiab] OR Cyworld[tiab] OR Dropbox[tiab] OR Flickr[tiab] OR Friendster[tiab] OR iGoogle[tiab] OR Instagram[tiab] OR LinkedIn[tiab] OR Mendeley[tiab] OR MySpace[tiab] OR Netvibes[tiab] OR Pageflakes[tiab] OR Picasa[tiab] OR Pinterest[tiab] OR Reddit[tiab] OR SlideShare[tiab] OR "Second Life"[tiab] OR Tumblr[tiab] OR Vimeo[tiab] OR WordPress[tiab] OR Zotero[tiab] OR Bebo[tiab] OR CaringBridge[tiab] OR CarePages[tiab] OR Cyworld[tiab] OR DailyStrength[tiab] OR MyFamilyHealth[tiab] OR BiomedExperts[tiab] OR ResearchGate[tiab] OR iMedExchange[tiab] OR DXY.cn[tiab] OR "Experience Project"[tiab] OR Habbo[tiab] OR hi5[tiab] OR Hyves[tiab] OR LiveJournal[tiab] OR Orkut[tiab] OR PatientsLikeMe[tiab] OR Plaxo[tiab] OR Renren[tiab] OR ScienceStage[tiab] OR StudiVZ[tiab] OR Doximity[tiab]
- Bogoch II, Frost DW, Bridge S, Lee TC, Gold WL, Panisko DM, Cavalcanti RB. Morning report blog: a web-based tool to enhance case-based learning. Teach Learn Med. 2012 Jul;24(3):238-41.
- Chatfield AJ, Ratajeski MA. Communicating with faculty, staff, and students using library blogs: results from a survey of academic health sciences libraries. Internet Ref Serv Q. 2010;15(3):149-68.
- Eysenbach G. Medicine 2.0: social networking, collaboration, participation, apomediation, and openness. J Med Internet Res. 2008;10(3):e22.
- Friesen C. Development of a best practices search filter in PubMed. Manitoba Libraries. 2014;1(1)
- Gardois P, Colombi N, Grillo G. Implementation of web 2.0 services in academic, medical and research libraries: a scoping review. Health Info Libr J. 2012.
- Giustini D. Social media trends for health librarians: a primer on using social media for clinical disease surveillance. JCHLA / JABSC. 2012;33:92-4.
- Hamm MP, Chisholm A, Shulhan J, Milne A, Scott SD, Klassen TP, Hartling L. Social media use by health care professionals and trainees: a scoping review. Acad Med. 2013 Sep;88(9):1376-83.
- Hamm MP, Chisholm A, Shulhan J, Milne A, Scott SD, Given LM, Hartling L. Social media use among patients and caregivers: a scoping review. BMJ Open. 2013 May 9;3(5).
- Spring H. If you cannot beat them, join them!: using health 2.0 and popular Internet applications to improve information literacy. Health Info Libr J. 2011;28(2):148-51.
- Wilczynski NL, McKibbon KA, Haynes RB. Search filter precision can be improved by NOTing out irrelevant content. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2011;2011:1506-13.