Are you interested in contributing to HLWIKI International? contact Marlene Dorgan, Head Librarian, John W. Scott Health Sciences Library
To browse other articles on a range of HSL topics, see the A-Z index.
- 26 February 2018
See also CHLA/ABSC (Canada) | Canadian health librarians — current, emerging & past | Important librarians in history | Linda Slater
Marlene Dorgan, Canadian health librarian, mentor and administrator, is the head librarian at the John W. Scott Health Sciences Library, University of Alberta Libraries. In addition to her administrative duties, Dorgan performs outreach and liaison duties for the UofA health faculties and teaches curriculum-based workshops. Dorgan is an active researcher, and has performed systematic review-level searching since 1994. She is an active mentor to many health librarians across Canada. In her professional activities, Dorgan has worked with the Northern Alberta Health Libraries Association (NAHLA) serving twice as its President. She initiated the Leading Edge workshops for NAHLA and obtained two CHLA/ABSC grants (Consumer Health Directory, 1995; NAHLA History Project, 2004). With her colleagues, Marlene founded the UofA Health Librarians Discussion Group in 2001. Dorgan has been a librarian tutor at McMaster University's annual "How to teach evidence-based clinical practice" workshop and led the "Putting Evidence into Practice" (PEP) workshops. Dorgan has delivered classes in search techniques and for systematic reviews at the Canadian Cochrane Symposium and CHLA/ABSC conferences.
Dorgan is a member of the Executive Committee of the Health Knowledge Network (HKN), the CISTI Committee on Health Sciences Information and the AFMC Resource Committee on Libraries. She is a member of the Core team of the Alberta Health Services/University of Alberta Evidence Based Practice Centre. Dorgan's research interests include scholarly publishing, research methodologies, knowledge transfer, continuing education and professional development. Dorgan was CHLA/ABSC President in 2009-2010 and a participating librarian in the Putting Evidence into Practice workshops. In 2014, Dorgan was awarded the Margaret Ridley Charlton award from CHLA/ABSC (Canada). In 2017, she was facilities co-chair with Linda Slater of the Edmonton conference. Dorgan sits on the Indigenous Health Hub (CFLA-FCAB Indigenous Matters Committee) as of 2018. http://cfla-fcab.ca/en/about/committees/indigenous_matters_committee/
- Beach J, Russell K, Hooton N. A systematic review of the diagnosis of occupational asthma. Chest. 2007;131(2):569–78.
- Chatterley T, Dorgan M, Clifford C, Chan L, Varney J, Dingwall O. Harnessing history: highlighting CHLA/ABSC capacity building through the Northern Alberta Health Libraries Association (NAHLA) 1985-2007. JCHLA / JABSC. 2008;29:51-4. and poster
- Church J, Saunders D, Spooner C, Dorgan M. Citizen participation in health decision-making: past experience and future prospects. J Public Health Policy. 2002;23(1):12–32.
- Dorgan M, Clifford C, Chan L. Harnessing history: highlighting CHLA/ABSC capacity building through the NAHLA, 1985-2007. CHLA/ABSC Conference, 2007.
- Dorgan M, Clifford C, Chan L. Reporting your chapter history: the process. CHLA Factsheet, 2007.
- Dorgan M, Buckingham J. Systematic reviews and the information specialist: approaches, issues and solutions. CHLA / ABSC Continuing Education, 2003.
- Kelly KD, Travers A, Dorgan M, Slater L. Evaluating the quality of systematic reviews in the emergency medicine literature. Ann Emerg Med. 2001;38(5):518–526.
- Koufogiannakis D, Dorgan M, Crumley E. Facilitating evidence-based librarianship: a Canadian experience. Health Info Libr J. 2003;20:73–75.
- Leon H, Shibata MC, Dorgan M, Chatterley T, Tsuyuki RT. Effect of fish oil on arrhythmias and mortality: systematic review. BMJ. 2008;337:a2931.
- Leon H, Shibat MC, Dorgan M, Chatterley P, Tsuyuki RT. The effect of fish oils on mortality and sudden cardiac death: a systematic review. University of Alberta, Research Day, 2007.
- Leon H, Shibata MC, Sivakumaran S, Dorgan M, Tsuyuki RT. The effect of fish oils on mortality and sudden cardiac death: a systematic review. Can J Cardiol. 2007;23:288C.
- Neufeld SM. The efficacy of 5-HT3 receptor antagonists for the prevention of postoperative nausea & vomiting after craniotomy: a meta analysis. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2007;19(1):10–17.
- Pereira J, Lawlor P, Dorgan M. Equianalgesic dose ratios for opioids. a critical review and proposals for long-term dosing. J Pain Symptom Management. 2001;22(2):672–687.
- Ramos-Remus C, Suarez-Almazor M, Dorgan M. Performance of online biomedical databases in rheumatology. J Rheumatol. 1994;21(10):1912–1921.
- Suarez-Almazor ME, Dorgan M, Ramos-Remus C. Identifying clinical trials in the medical literature with electronic databases: MEDLINE alone is not enough. Control Clin Trials. 2000;21(5):476-487.
- Shibata MC, Leon H, Dorgan M, Chatterley P. Do calcium channel blockers increase heart failure in patients with hypertension: a systematic review. Circulation. 2007;116:767.
- Shibata M, Leon H, Chatterley T, Dorgan M. Do calcium channel blockers increase heart failure in patients with hypertension: a systematic review. Am Heart Assoc. 2007.
- Suarez-Almazor ME, Kendall CJ, Dorgan M. Surfing the net--information on the web for persons with arthritis: patient empowerment or patient deceit? J Rheumatol. 2001;28(1):185-191.
- Vigano A, Dorgan M, Bruera E. The relative accuracy of the clinical estimation of the duration of life for patients with end of life cancer. Cancer. 1999;86(1):170-176.
- Vigano A, Dorgan M, Buckingham J. Survival prediction in terminal cancer patients: a systematic review of the medical literature. Palliat Med. 2000;14(5):363-374.