Are you interested in contributing to HLWIKI International? contact
To browse other articles on a range of HSL topics, see the A-Z index.
- 20 May 2016
See also Authority | Brandon-Hill and Doody's Lists | Collection development policies in health libraries | EBooks | Print ordering | Top Information Sources in Biomedical Reference Services
Physicians and health workers frequently offer the library their used textbooks and monographs. In addition, health librarians may have to deal with materials that are dropped off at the library or discarded from the collection. Typically, these materials are not worth very much and can be safely disposed of. However, there are also numerous medical book and journal donation programs that can accept these books but health librarian may also opt to put books on a table in a high traffic area of the library and offer them for free for the taking or for a nominal amount of money. It is recommended that signage be posted that points out that the information in the texts or books may be outdated, and may need to be checked against more current information.
Other book donation options include:
- This list provides a place for institutions and programs that have little or no money to post their need for educational materials. We do not include private colleges (especially those that charge high tuition fees), foundations of corporate firms, individuals, or other well off entities. Our donors wish to send their materials to those most desperately in need. Listings are organized geographically - please use the index to the right to locate programs in specific countries. Each entry includes the mission, types of materials and subject areas needed. The first group of programs are organized under the heading “International” because they collect and distribute books to more than one country or geographic area.
- Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5P9 Canada
- Phone: 613-727-2735
- Fax: 613-727-0745
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Requesting medical books and journals not more than 5 years old.
- A voluntary, not-for-profit and non-political organization founded in 1999 to contribute towards capacity building of higher academic institutions in Ethiopia. One of AHEAD’s three programs is a book program which aims to send up to 1000 medical books and journals annually to the AAU Medical Faculty. The recipient of the shipment is the Medical Library of AAU but the beneficiaries include the Jimma, Gondar and Addis Ababa Medical Faculties. AHEAD works closely with University of Ottawa who support shipping and other costs in running this project. AHEAD also has an agreement with Ethiopian Airlines to ship books and journals to Addis Ababa at a special rate.
- Attn: Continuing Education Committee
- 205-1037 West Broadway
- Vancouver BC V6H 1E3, CANADA
- 877-739-4708 or 604-739-4708
- Fax: 604-739-4788
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Medical books and journals dated from 1990 to present in English or Portuguese. Books concentrating on aspects of surgery in particular are needed.
- Working in Africa to promote injury prevention research, teach basic surgical skills and assist medical libraries. Current working, with nationals, in Ethiopia, Malawi, Mozambique, and Uganda.
Canadian Food for the Hungry
- 1225 Ave.W South
- Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- Canada S7L 3J2
- Phone:(306) 374-6776
- Email: email@example.com
Requesting medical equipment textbooks to establish a departmental library and medical textbooks of all types for distribution to developing nation hospitals all over the world.
CFHI supplies medical equipment and supplies to developing nation hospitals around the world.
Textbooks for Change provides affordable and accessible educational materials to students both locally and across the globe. We repurpose used textbooks to create social impact and improve the educational landscape for students around the world. We do this by:
- Donating thousands of post-secondary textbooks to African universities annually.
- Selling affordable used textbooks to North American students and using proceeds to help fund student-led impact initiatives.
- Diverting thousands of textbooks from landfills by recycling them efficiently.