Are you interested in contributing to HLWIKI International? contact
To browse other articles on a range of HSL topics, see the A-Z index.
- 2 April 2014
See also Canadian Association of Professional Academic Librarians (CAPAL) | CHLA/ABSC (Canada) | Health Libraries Association of British Columbia (HLABC) | List of Canadian health libraries
The entry is meant to lead searchers to associations and professional journals relevant to health librarianship. In Canada, health librarians typically look for information about their own context of practice such as universal health care funded by the public sector. Two examples of where health librarians seek some understanding of their working practices are in the journals the JCHLA/JABSC and the JMLA. However, there is much to be learned from health librarians in other jurisdictions such as in the United Kingdom, Australia and Europe.
American & international links
Major open access and association journals
Health librarians communicate with each other using newsletters, association journals and blogs. Here are some examples in health librarianship.
- BMC-Biomedical Digital Libraries - BioMedCentral, open-access journal
- EBLIP Evidence Based Library and Information Practice- open-access, peer-reviewed journal published by Canadian librarians
- Health Inform - official publication of Australian Health Libraries
- Health Information & Libraries Journal - official journal of the Health Libraries Group (HLG); peer-reviewed, international
- Igaku Toshokan - official journal of NPO the Japan Medical Library Association.
- Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet - peer-reviewed journal for consumer health information on the Internet
- Journal of Electronic Resources in Medical Libraries - peer-reviewed journal devoted to access, evaluation, and management of e-resources in medical libraries
- Journal of Hospital Librarianship - technical/administrative issues; technology reviews, practical suggestions and innovative strategies to improve hospital/clinical work
- Journal of the Canadian Health Libraries Association/Journal de l'Association des bibliothèques de la santé du Canada (JCHLA/JABSC) - formerly Bibliotheca Medica Canadiana (1992 - 2001)
- Journal of the European Association for Health Information and Libraries. (Newsletters to European Health Librarians, free).
- Journal of the Medical Library Association (JMLA) - International, peer-reviewed journal published quarterly (formerly Bulletin of the Medical Library Association (BMLA).
- Medical Reference Services Quarterly - peer-reviewed journal for medical and health librarians in clinical, educational or research settings
- Health Information News and Thinking (HINT), Health Sciences Libraries Group, Ireland
- HLG Health Libraries Group Newsletter
- Inform, Information for the Management of Healthcare, University of Manitoba
- Info-Rx: Newsletter of the Health Sciences Libraries
- Interim, magazine of the Scottish Health Information Network - SHINE
- Libraries for Nursing | LFN Bulletin
- Medizin-bibliothek-information (German) to 2004
- MLA News, members-only
- Newsletters to European Health Librarians (1998-2004) continued as Journal for the European Association for Health Information and Libraries
- Newsletter of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine Pacific Northwest Region. See also Dragonfly, the NN/LM PNR blog.
- NLM Technical Bulletin
- Ontario Health Libraries Association Newsletter
- Saab Memorial Medical Library (SML) Newsletter
- Newsletters of the Sections of the Medical Library Association (Consumer Connections, National Network)
Medical informatics journals on the Internet
- BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making
- He@lth Information on the Internet
- Health informatics journal
- International Journal of Medical Informatics
- JAMIA Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association
- JBDC Journal of Biomedical Discovery and Collaboration
- Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet
- JMIR Journal of Medical Internet Research
- Medical Informatics & the Internet in Medicine
- Medicine on the Net
- Methods of Information in Medicine [German]
- Studies in Health Technology and Informatics
- Informed Librarian Online [monthly compilation of the most recent tables of contents from over 275 titles]