Are you interested in contributing to HLWIKI International? contact This online course is offered to MLIS students continent-wide in January 2013
To browse other articles on a range of HSL topics, see the A-Z index.
New digital roles for information professionals within organizations run the gamut from emerging technology librarian, rich media librarian to social media librarian. New information professionals should be creative, be able to think ‘out-of-the-box’ and keep one-step ahead of the latest tools and trends.
Williams (2009) identifies roles in the following areas for librarians in the digital age:
see also Stanton J. Data Science: What’s in it for the New Librarian? Information Space blog. School of Information Studie. Syracuse University.
- Bertram SM, Madhusudan K. The social biology professor: effective strategies for social media engagement. Ideas in ecology and evolution. 2013;6:1.
- http://www.open.ac.uk/libraryservices/beingdigital/ Being digital website
- DeCamp M, Koenig TW, Chisolm MS. Social media and physicians' online identity crisis. JAMA. 2013 Aug 14;310(6):581-2.
- Finlayson A. Electronic mentoring and academic librarians: a case study. Innovation. 2009;39:58-72.
- Funk CJ. Evolving roles of life and health sciences librarians for the twenty-first century. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1998;86(3):380-4.
- Homan JM. Medical Library Association: promoting new roles for health information professionals. J Med Libr Assoc. 2002;90(1):80-85.
- Gardois P, Colombi N, Grillo G. Implementation of web 2.0 services in academic, medical and research libraries: a scoping review. Health Info Libr J. 2012.
- Garoufallou E, Charitopoulou V. Web 2.0 in library and information science education: the Greek case. New Library World. 2012;113(3/4):202-217.
- Garoufallou E, Charitopoulou V. The use and awareness of Web 2.0 tools by Greek LIS students. New Library World. 2011;11/12:490-498.
- Glazer H. Likes are lovely, but do they lead to more logins? Coll Res Libr News. 2012;73(1):18-21.
- Godwin P, Parker J. Information literacy beyond library 2.0. Facet, 2012.
- Kwanya T, Stilwell C, Underwood PG. Intelligent libraries and apomediators: distinguishing between library 3.0 and library 2.0. J Librarianship Info Science; 2012.
- Langan K. Training millennials: a practical and theoretical approach. Ref Serv Rev. 2012;40:24-48.
- Lilburn J. Commercial social media and the erosion of the commons: implications for academic libraries. portal: Libraries and the Academy. 2012:12(3):139-153.
- Majumdar S. Web 2.0 tools in library web pages: survey of universities and institutes of national importance of West Bengal. DESIDOC J Library & Information Technology. 2012;32(2).
- Makori EO. Bridging the information gap with the patrons in university libraries in Africa: the case for investments in web 2.0 systems. Library Review. 2012;61:30-40.
- Pinto M, Manso RA. Virtual references services: defining the criteria and indicators to evaluate them. Electronic Library. 2012;30(1):51-69.
- Plutchak TS. Breaking the barriers of time and space: the dawning of the great age of librarians. J Med Libr Assoc. 2012 Jan;100(1):10-9.
- Virkus S, Bamigbola AA. Students' conceptions and experiences of Web 2.0 tools. New Library World. 2011;112(11/12)479-489.