|Are you interested in contributing to HLWIKI International? contact
To browse other articles on a range of HSL topics, see the A-Z index.
- 21 June 2017
See also Aboriginal health | Aboriginal health search filter | Finding health information for British Columbians | Multilingual resources for patients
A to Z
- Allan B, Smylie J. First peoples, second class treatment: the role of racism in the health and well-being of Indigenous peoples in Canada. Toronto, ON: the Wellesley Institute; 2015.
- Bennett M. Annotated bibliography of Aboriginal women's health and healing research. Vancouver, BC: Aboriginal Women's Health and Healing Research Group, 2005.
- Browne AJ. Clinical encounters between nurses and First Nations women in a western Canadian hospital. Social Science & Medicine. 2007;64(10):2165-76.
- Browne AJ, Smye VL, Varcoe C. The relevance of postcolonial theoretical perspectives to research in Aboriginal health. Can J Nurs Res. 2005 Dec;37(4):16-37.
- Chan HM, Kim C, Khoday K, Receveur O, Kuhnlein HV. Assessment of dietary exposure to trace metals in Baffin Inuit food. Environ Health Perspect. 1995 Jul-Aug;103(7-8):740–746.
- Choinière R. Mortality among the Baffin Inuit in the mid-80s. Arctic Med Res. 1992 Apr;51(2):87–93.
- Coates KS. Best left as Indians: Native-White relations in the Yukon Territory, 1840-1973. Montreal: McGill-Queen's University Press, 1991.
- Falcon-Borduas Amélie. Restricted access: Aboriginal women and health care in Canada. SFU Master's thesis, 2010.
- Goodman A, Fleming K, Markwick N, Morrison T, Lagimodiere L, Kerr T, Society WA. “They treated me like crap and I know it was because I was Native”: The healthcare experiences of Aboriginal peoples living in Vancouver's inner city. Social Science & Medicine. 2017 Apr 30;178:87-94.
- Graham-Cumming G. Health of the original Canadians, 1867-1967. Med Serv J Can. 1967 Feb;23(2):115–166.
- Hackett P. Averting disaster: the Hudson's Bay Company and smallpox in western Canada during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Bull Hist Med. 2004 Fall;78(3):575-609.
- Hunter E. Aboriginal health and history: power and prejudice in remote Australia. Cambridge University Press, 1993.
- Kelm ME. Colonizing bodies: Aboriginal health and healing in British Columbia, 1900-50. Vancouver: UBC Press, 1998.
- Mahoney MC, Michalek AM. A meta-analysis of cancer incidence in United States and Canadian native populations. Int J Epidemiol. 1991 Jun;20(2):323–327.
- McMahon E. Psychiatry at the frontier: surveying Aboriginal mental health in the era of assimilation. Health Hist. 2007:22-47.
- McCallum MJ. This last frontier: isolation and Aboriginal health. Can Bull Med Hist/Bull can d'histoire de la médecine. 2005;22(1):103-120.
- Moffatt ME. Land settlements and health care: the case of the James Bay Cree. Can J Public Health. 1987 Jul-Aug;78(4):223–227.
- Morrison HI, Semenciw RM, Mao Y, Wigle DT. Infant mortality on Canadian Indian Reserves 1976-1983. Can J Public Health. 1986 Jul-Aug;77(4):269–273.
- Ornstein TE. The first peoples in Quebec: a reference work on the history, environment, economic and legal position of the Indians and Inuit of Quebec. Thunderbird Press, 1973.
- PHSA. Celebrating the circle of life: coming back to balance and harmony (Aboriginal resource. Provincial Health Services Authority. BC Pub Date, 2013.
- Pickering J, Lavallee C, Hanley J. Cigarette smoking in Cree Indian school children of the James Bay region. Arctic Med Res. 1989 Jan;48(1):6–11.
- Quiñonez CR. A political economic history of medical and dental care in Nunavut, Canada. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2006; 65(2):101-116.
- Ross F, McKemmish S, Faulkhead S. Indigenous knowledge and the archives: designing trusted archival systems for Koorie communities. Archives and Manuscripts. 2006;34(2):112.
- Stephenson PH. A persistent spirit: towards understanding Aboriginal health in British Columbia. Vol. 31. Dept. of Geography University of Victoria, 1995.
- Timbery N. Archives and indigenous communities can work together: one Koori's perspective. Archives and Manuscripts. 2011;39(1):145.
- Waldram JB, Herring DA, Young TK. Aboriginal health in Canada: historical, cultural, and epidemiological perspectives. University of Toronto Press, 2006.
- Wilson K, Young TK. An overview of Aboriginal health research in the social sciences: current trends and future directions. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2008;67(2–3):179–189.
- Young TK. Indian health services in Canada: a sociohistorical perspective. Soc Sci Med. 1984;18(3):257–264.
- Zhou AW, et al. Efficacy of a 3-hour Aboriginal health teaching in the medical curriculum Are we changing student knowledge and attitudes? Health Ed J. 2012;71(2):180-188.
Indigenous health care practices